Answers from Our Experts (1)
With so much history and culture, kids will have a long list of museums and exhibits to visit in Berlin. Here are the five best:
1. MACHmit! Museum for Kids. This kiddie paradise uses games, computers, art and creative approaches to teach little ones about the world around them. The hands-on museum gets your children involved in exhibitions on a diversity of topics, like the rights of the individual and how to make a ball. It’s fun in any language.
2. Science Center Spectrum. Mini scientists can roll up their sleeves and try 250 experiments. (Note: it will be closed until renovations are completed in December 2012.)
3. German Museum of Technology. This is the place to find out how the machines around us work. People of all ages can trace the development of things like photography, medicine and trains.
4. Domäne Dahlem. Take your little ones on a farm adventure at this outdoor museum in southwest Berlin. They can get up close with cows, pigs, goats, horses, chickens, ducks and turkeys, as well as also climb on a tractor, ride ponies and drive miniature tractors.
5. Schlachtensee. Bring your family to this picturesque lakefront area, or rent a two- or four-person canoe and row across the serene waters. The area is so serene that it’s hard to believe a S-Bahn train station is just a five-minute walk away.