Answers from Our Experts (1)
Touring Birmingham with kids in tow is a cinch. These five picks from Forbes Travel Guide’s editors are sure to keep kids entertained:
1. Birmingham Children’s Zoo. This 122-acre zoo is home to over 800 animals. Located in Lane Park, near the botanical gardens, kids will love this destination, especially the dancing fountain and dollar hot dogs.
2. Vulcan Park and Museum. No trip to Birmingham is complete with a trip to Vulcan Park. There’s an elevator to the top, where you and the family can take some photos of the amazing city views. Older kids will enjoy the brand new zip line atop Red Mountain, which has 10 platforms and seven zip lines and takes approximately two hours.
3. Birmingham’s Railroad Park. This is the best place in town for an afternoon picnic. The 19-acre green space has a playground for kids, along with running and bike paths.
4. McWane Science Center. This museum has four full floors of children’s science activities, along with an IMAX theater. Don’t miss the collection of dinosaurs and the awe-inspiring aquarium.
5. Peanut Depot. Stop here to taste Birmingham history—peanuts have been roasted in the depot’s antique roasters since 1907. It’s a fun place for kids and adults—kids can’t resist cracking open a fresh peanut.