Answers from Our Experts (1)
For uniquely local flavors, take in the food and drink the city is becoming known for.
1. Boise has been gaining recognition for its booming microbrewery scene. Those who appreciate a good brew can taste local flights throughout the city. Some thriving favorites include Highlands Hollow Brewhouse, Sockeye Grill & Brewery and Crooked Fence Brewing Co.
2. One of Idaho’s best-kept secrets is its wine country. Just a 30-minute drive from Boise lays rolling hills of vines and tucked away wineries, ready to welcome visitors for sampling. Visit Bitner Vineyards, Ste. Chapelle Winery and Koenig Winery and Distillery for some of the best views and vino.
3. Boise boasts one of the largest Basque communities in the United States. The Basque Block downtown offers restaurants that feature the unique flavors this population brought from its homeland in northern Spain.
4. Brew lovers can try several regional and even international beers at Brewforia Beer Market. This laid-back, cafe-like pub specializes in offering pours of a variety of tastes. Not sure what you like? The knowledgeable staff will happily recommend a flavor that suits your preferences. Head to either location in Meridian or Eagle –just outside of Boise - when you're hungry, to pair your drink with something from their unique food menu (think shrimp and crab cake sandwiches and Idaho trout salad).
5. The food trucks scattered throughout Boise offer a diverse selection of delicious dishes. From Brown Shuga Soul Food to Cacicia’s Old World Sicilian Foods to the healthy options at Archie’s Place, the food truck cuisine is as varied as the city’s restaurants.
6. A local favorite for corn-fed beef, seafood and nightly live jazz performances, Chandlers Prime Steaks & Fine Seafood delivers an upscale dining experience at Hotel 43 in downtown Boise. Wine and cocktail connoisseurs flock to Chandlers for its speakeasy-style bar, offering an extensive wine menu with more than 250 varieties from around the world. Many locals stop by the steakhouse’s lounge simply to indulge in an evening cocktail and a dessert. Choose from fresh fruit cobblers, butterscotch crème brûlée, bananas Foster martinis and more.