Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids are a welcome sight at most Boulder establishments and attractions — even on the toughest mountain trails. Here are a five Forbes Travel Guide recommended activities geared especially toward little ones:
1. Visit the playgrounds and hiking trails at Chautauqua Park. Pack a picnic and head to this park at the base of the famous Flatirons. Young kids can enjoy the wide-open meadow, the manicured lawn (perfect for soccer or kite flying) and the large playground. Challenge older kids with a hike into the Flatirons.
2. Explore the Pearl Street Mall. This outdoor walking mall is closed to vehicles, making it a safe and fun place to shop, eat and explore with children. Kids can climb on the mall’s sculpture and rock garden, or watch the street performers that line the area on sunny days.
3. Stop by the Boulder Farmers’ Market. Located at Boulder’s Central Park, in the heart of the city, this impressive farmers’ market is open on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. It features about 130 different vendors, food carts, musicians, art exhibits and grassy spaces to dine and play.
4. Visit Gateway Park Fun Center. With old-fashion fun for all ages, Gateway Park, located on the north end of Boulder, has go-karts, batting cages, an arcade and miniature golf. Each activity is just a few dollars.
5. See The Wonder of Science at Twenty Ninth Street. This scientific exhibit is housed at the Twenty Ninth Street outdoor retail center. Each installation is interactive and includes large-scale models of the planets, a local weather reporting station and a 35-foot-tall sounding rocket used in atmospheric studies.