Answers from Our Experts (1)
The best activities in Boulder are those that sample its unique geography, cultural heritage and environmentally friendly atmosphere. Here are five best things Forbes Travel Guide recommends adding to your Boulder to-do list:
1. Visit Chautauqua Park. Boulder is known for the famed Flatirons, the sky-scraping rock slabs located on the western edge of downtown. Chautauqua Park sits at the base of the Flatirons and is the launching point for several hiking trails that lead to stunning views of the Rockies and the city of Boulder below. Spend time in the park’s gardens, have lunch in the picnic areas or take in one of the many culture events held here.
2. Have tea at Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse. This teahouse was built by the artists and craftsmen of Boulder’s sister city, Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The building itself is a work of art, featuring intricate tiling and carving on the walls, columns and ceiling. The tea and eclectic menu are first-rate.
3. Stroll down Pearl Street’s walking mall. At the heart of Boulder, Pearl Street is an entertainment hub that’s lined with stores, fine-dining restaurants and street performers. Grab a latte at one of the locally owned cafés and stroll for several blocks to take it all in.
4. Take a Celestial Seasonings factory tour. Discover how tea is made on a free tour that includes a video, a walk through the Celestial Herb Garden, a look at the tea bag factory and a visit to the heavily aromatic Mint Room. You’ll also get to sample a variety of teas along the way.
5. Bike, walk or float along Boulder Creek. An intricate paved path that follows the Boulder Creeks crisscrosses through town and heads west into the mountains. Hit the path itself to walk, run or rollerblade, or grab an inner tube or kayak and get into the creek to float or paddle the afternoon away.