Answers from Our Experts (1)
In addition to the range of family-friendly activities, Brisbane is easy to get around and lacks the frenetic pace of bigger cities like Sydney and Melbourne, making it an ideal destination to visit with kids. Forbes Travel Guide chose five top things to do and see with children in tow:
1. Riverlife Adventure Centre. Active kids over the age of eight will love Riverlife Adventure Centre for the range of outdoor and water activities; their parents will love it for tiring them out. Choose from paddleboarding, kayaking, rock climbing, cycling and rollerblading—all activities have qualified and experienced instructors.
2. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. With more than 130 of these adorable animals, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is the world’s first and largest koala sanctuary. As well as cuddling a koala, kids can also handfeed kangaroos and lorikeets, get up close and personal with other Aussie wildlife, and even hold a python if they’re feeling brave.
3. Sciencentre. Young Einsteins can indulge their science obsessions at Sciencentre, part of the Queensland Museum. Along with its extensive range of interactive displays and exhibitions, it also holds a rotating program of live theater shows in which kids can help bring science to life.
4. Children’s Art Centre at QAGOMA. An art gallery may seem an unlikely attraction for kids, but if you’ve got a budding Picasso in the family make sure the Queensland Art Gallery’s Children’s Art Centre is on your itinerary. The gallery collaborates with Australian and international artists to develop programs for families, offering a range of exhibitions, projects, installations and workshops for children of all ages.
5. Visit Moreton Island. Just 75 minutes from the center of Brisbane by ferry, Moreton Island is the world’s third largest sand island and a natural playground for big and little kids alike. Book a stay at Tangalooma Island Resort to take part in sunset dolphin feeding, where guests have the opportunity to hand-feed the pod of wild bottlenose dolphins that visit each night.