Answers from Our Experts (1)
Budapest is a city of festivals with many interesting events happening year around, ranging from gastro festivals to live concerts. Here are five of the best festivals held in Budapest, selected by Forbes Travel Guide’s editors.
1. Sziget Festival. This weeklong summer music festival is one of the largest cultural events in Europe. Performances by many world-renowned artists representing different genres from pop-rock to jazz entertain visitors from all over the world. Sziget is held every August.
2. Budapest International Wine Festival. Bringing together the best winemakers for over 20 years, this festival is a unique experience. Wine lovers can sample some of the best vintages, get to know wine makers and participate in wine tasting classes. The festival takes place in September.
3. Budapest Spring Festival. The annual Spring Festival is one of the oldest and largest cultural events in Hungary. With focus on the performing arts, opera, theater and classical music, it's always a hit. The festival is held from March to April.
4. Budapest Pálinka and Sausage Festival. This is one of the most unique gastro-themed festivals held in the city. It's a musical feast of two staples of Hungarian gastronomy that go well together: fruit brandy and sausages. The festival is held in Castle Hill each October.
5. Budapest Christmas Fair. The city's annual Christmas market held in Vörösmarty Square is worth a winter visit. The scent of roasted chestnuts and mulled wine, a large Christmas tree and the sparkling lights create the perfect holiday atmosphere in a romantic setting. The Christmas market is held each year from November through December.