Answers from Our Experts (1)
Hungary is famous for its cuisine (goulash being just one dish with international recognition), and Budapest offers plenty of award winning restaurants where you can sample it. Read on for Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the best places to eat in Budapest.
1. Bock Bisztro. Traditional Hungarian cuisine and Hungarian wine are must-tries when visiting Budapest. Bock Bisztro, run by a winemaker and an award-winning chef, pairs its tasty traditional fare with a selection of the best Hungarian vintages. The menu is heavy on dishes like chicken paprikás and mangalica pork. Reservations are also a must.
2. Onyx. This internationally acclaimed restaurant in Budapest serves unique, multi-course tasting menus. Traditional dishes prepared here usually come with a culinary twist. Opt for the ‘Hungarian Evolution’ tasting menu for an introduction to modern Hungarian cuisine.
3. Baraka. Hungarian chef Viktor Segal is being this glamorous restaurant in the Andrassy Hotel. You’ll sit in a moody room with chandeliers and tables covered in dark cloths and enjoy modern haute cuisine dishes like pan-seared scallops with chili jam and roasted bok choy or veal osso buco with Parmesan-olive gnocchi. Pair your meal with the best wines Hungary and the world has to offer, or a cocktail from the mixology bar.
4. Pesti Disznó. This stylish local favorite offers Hungarian staples in small portions, much like tapas. Pesti Disznó is ideal for lunch, dinner or late-night meals of pork with mashed parsnips and mushroom pasta. Try the five-course tasting menu with wine pairings.
5. Costes. One of the noted restaurants in Budapest, Costes impresses with opulent surroundings, excellent service and an extensive wine list. The chef shows his skill on dishes including beef tenderloin with macaroni au gratin and bone marrow and langoustine prepared three ways. Desserts such as chocolate with textures of peanut recall childhood.