Answers from Our Experts (1)
With a focus on local and sustainable food, Burlington is a first-class foodie hub. Here are five restaurants our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend as the five best in this Vermont town:
1. L’Amante Ristorante. Looking for upscale Italian? Head to L’Amante for classic, hearty dishes such as potato-crusted sea bass and bruschetta with local squash. The dining space is simple and sleek — the focus is on the flavorful dishes made with local ingredients.
2. Pistou. This bistro was open for only two months when it received a James Beard nomination in 2012. Pistou continues to win praise for local, inventive dishes inspired by both Vermont goods and high-end Manhattan eateries.
3. Inn at Shelburne Farms. The historic inn, located just south of Burlington, has an elegant restaurant and a menu based on the seasonal ingredients grown locally (some on the property’s farm). Arrive early to enjoy a cocktail on the expansive terrace.
4. A Single Pebble. Known for its addictive mock eel appetizer and oversized lazy susans on the table, this authentic Chinese restaurant is a far cry from the typical fried Chinese fare found around New England towns.
5. The Kitchen Table Bistro. This charming restaurant is worth the drive about 20 minutes east of Burlington. Located in an 18th-century building, The Kitchen Table Bistro has several different cozy dining rooms and specializes in fresh, regional cuisine.