Answers from Our Experts (1)
With so much natural beauty to enjoy in Cairns, it makes sense to visit restaurants and eateries where you can dine while enjoying spectacular views as well as the fresh local produce. Here are the best places to eat in Cairns from our Forbes Travel Guide editors.
1. Salt House Restaurant and Bar, Cairns. From its waterfront location at Marina Point, Salt House offers panoramic views of the marina and seafront. Known for its modern Australian menu, outdoor cocktail bar and live music, it’s a relaxed holiday dining venue for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
2. Hanuman Cairns. One of a popular three-restaurant chain, this location in the Hilton overlooks Trinity Inlet. The Southeast Asian-inspired menu includes dishes such as sweet tamarind pork, Thai crispy whole fish and beef massaman curry. The restaurant features unique furnishings collected by head chef Jimmy Shu on his travels throughout Asia.
3. Ochre Restaurant, Cairns. If you’re keen to try some local delicacies while you’re in Australia, this is the place to do it. Ochre specializes in Australian game and native bush foods such as salt and pepper crocodile with prawns, chargrilled kangaroo sirloin and wallaby topside. The Australian theme continues in sides and accompaniments including macadamia dressing, and there’s even a wattleseed pavlova for dessert.
4. Bayleaf Balinese Restaurant. With the Indonesian island of Bali just a few hours’ flight from Cairns, it’s no surprise that one of the city’s favorite eateries is this Balinese restaurant. The restaurant’s chefs are trained at a top cooking school in Bali and bring their expertise to traditional dishes like satays, curries and nasi goreng (fried rice).
5. Bushfire Flame Grill. Churrasco has exploded all over the world but Bushfire Flame Grill, located on the Esplanade, is putting a local spin on it. The restaurant sources the best Australian beef from cattle stations in Queensland and the Northern Territory, and its bar features an extensive range of local beers, wines and Australian-inspired cocktails.