Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids will love Cairns because there is so much for them to do, and you’ll love Cairns because all of these activities are guaranteed to keep the dreaded phrase “I’m booooored” at bay. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ top picks for things to do with kids in Cairns.
1. Go white water rafting on the Barron River. It’s only 20 minutes from the center of Cairns and is a guaranteed fun day for the entire family. Never tried white water rafting before? The spectacular Barron River is perfect for first-timers (note that all participants must be at least 13 years old).
2. Get up close and personal with native Australian wildlife at Cairns Tropical Zoo. And when we say up close and personal, we really mean up close and personal. Your kids can cuddle a koala, hold a lizard, meet a wombat and even pole-feed a crocodile as part of the new “Zootastic 5 Wildlife Encounter” at the zoo. Make sure you book the day before.
3. Zip through the Cairns Wildlife Dome. Give your kids permission to fly with parrots, cockatoos and lorikeets as they zip along on the new “Cairns ZOOm” zip-line at the Cairns Wildlife Dome. There is also a scenic walk available if you’d prefer to keep your feet on the ground.
4. Get lost in the bush. Take in the unique North Queensland landscape, including rainforest, mangroves, sugarcane fields and native bushland on a guided horse-riding tour with Blazing Saddles. They also offer quad bike tours for those ages 12 and older.
5. Walk on the sea floor. Take a memorable stroll through the Great Barrier Reef with Seawalker at Green Island (less than an hour from Cairns). Just pop on a special helmet and the team will guide you through the rest of the process –you won’t even get your hair wet and it’s safe for non-swimmers.