Answers from Our Experts (1)
With its intense crowds and traffic, Cairo can seem a bit daunting for kids at first glance. But with a bit of planning, you’ll find a number of enjoyable activities — and many of them are also things grown-ups would plan to do anyway. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ favorite things to do with kids in Cairo.
1. Felucca ride. A must-do for adults, a sail on the Nile also gives kids a great opportunity to play sailor at the prow. Friendly captains will often let kids man the rudder for a bit as well.
2. Cairo Tower. This 614-foot-high viewpoint right in the middle of the city, opened in 1961 and renovated for its 50th anniversary in 2011, gives little ones a sense of the city’s enormous scale. After ascending, you can let kids run in one of several small parks nearby.
3. Agricultural Museum. For an odd education, let kids loose in the empty halls of this ghostly museum in Dokki, where cases are crammed with taxidermy birds and wax fruits.
4. Al-Azhar Park. When kids need real room to roam, take them to the city’s largest green space, where there’s one of the few playgrounds in the city — and lots of local kids to enjoy it with.
5. Cairo Puppet Theater. Another great place to hang out with Egyptian kids is this surprisingly elaborate theater just off Midan Ataba downtown. Shows are in Arabic, but they’re lively enough that the plot comes through, regardless of language.