Answers from Our Experts (1)
As Alberta’s hub for travel and business, Calgary has no shortage of quality accommodations. From luxury hotels to boutique bed and breakfasts, here is Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ list of the five best places to stay in Calgary.
1. The Fairmont Palliser. Opened in 1914 as one of Grand Canadian’s luxurious railroad hotels, it stands today as a high-end hotel experience in Calgary. The Fairmont Palliser is located downtown and features distinctive historic architecture, elegant guest rooms and classic dining (think lobster bisque, oysters rockefeller and bison) in its restaurant, The Rimrock.
2. Hotel Le Germain Calgary. This Canadian boutique hotel brand brings its modern style to the West with its location in the middle of downtown Calgary. Streamlined rooms are decorated with natural materials, while the onsite Santé Spa offers massages and other services and Charcut Roast House serves up stylish dining, including a handcrafted charcuterie bar.
3. Hotel Arts. Designed to provide an urban escape, this contemporary hotel features Aveda bath products and a menu of in-room spa treatments. The swimming pool, tiled with Italian glass, provides the backdrop for the restaurant’s poolside patio. Plus, the hotel displays a contemporary art collection from local artist Barry W. Fairbairn.
4. Hyatt Regency Calgary. Located on trendy Stephen Avenue Walk, the hotel represents Calgary’s contemporary urbanism with rustic undertones. The lobby showcases historic 1886 sandstone walls, and guest rooms come equipped with Wi-Fi and iHome devices to hook up your iPhone or iPod. Guests can visit to Stillwater Spa for an aloe and clay wrap, or visit Thomsons Restaurant for its popular Sunday brunch.
5. Kensington Riverside Inn. Located along the Bow River, this intimate inn offers 19 stylish rooms, complete with soaking tubs and Frette linens. Try high-end dining at the Chef’s Table restaurant in the evening, and in the morning enjoy coffee and tea delivered with the newspaper.