Everyone knows about Cancun’s beaches, but here are some other things to do in the popular Mexican city:
1. Visit the interactive Cancun Underwater Museum to plunge into the water and view more than 400 life-sized sculptures and the fish, turtles and other marine life that inhabit the artificial reef. The museum is divided into two galleries, Salon Manchones and Salon Nizuc. The former is 26 feet deep and suitable for both divers and snorkelers, and the second is 13 feet deep and only permits snorkelers.
2. For a day focused on learning about Mayan culture, visit Coba, one of the largest Mayan ruins in Mexico — it dates back to 100 B.C. — and the nearby Nohoch Mul pyramid, the tallest in the Yucatan Peninsula and from the top of which you can see the surrounding jungle. Continue your cultural education with a visit to the Mayan villages of Pac-Chen or Chimuch.
3. Travel to Isla Mujeres to see the new Sea Walls: Murals for Oceans, whimsical, brightly painted street murals depicting whale sharks and manta rays, designed by a group of 15 internationally acclaimed contemporary artists.
4. Nature enthusiasts will enjoy a day excursion to Isla Holbox, which is separated from the mainland coast of Mexico by a shallow lagoon that provides a sanctuary to thousands of flamingos, pelicans and other exotic birds.
5. Forget laying out on the sand and instead get active. Try zip lining, waterskiing, windsurfing, snorkeling, scuba diving and more.