Answers from Our Experts (1)
There’s plenty of fun to be had in Cape Cod without dropping a lot of dough. You can make a day at the beaches with a small picnic, or spend time hiking the nature trails at Cape Cod National Park. The five best free things to do on Cape Cod include:
1. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Cape Cod is one of the nation’s largest marine science ports, and home to some groundbreaking undersea discoveries. Visit the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution to discover what’s under the sea. The institution offers free walking tours of the facility every Monday through Friday in July and August.
2. Lighthouse beach. Pack a picnic and head to Lighthouse Beach in Chatham, where you can watch the sunset from the sand or from atop the bluff where the Chatham Lighthouse stands. The ambiance is romantic and the views are beautiful.
3. Winery and brewery tours. The Cape Cod Winery offers free wine tastings year-round. Located in east Falmouth, the winery is known for harvesting grapes for cabernet sauvignon and franc, as well as merlot and pinot grigio. If wine doesn’t appeal to your palate visit Cape Cod Beer in Hyannis and tour the area’s only brewery. The 45-minute tours are held every Tuesday at 11a.m. and every Saturday at 1 p.m. and include free tastings of the distillery’s craft suds.
4. Glass-blowing. Cape Cod is an artists’ haven. You’ll find everything here from oil paintings to sculpture, but one of the more unique crafts on display is glassblowing. Head to Pairpoint Glass in Sandwich and watch artisans transform hot glass into vases lamps bowls and baubles. To watch is free; to buy will cost you.
5. Biking. One of the best ways to see Cape Cod is by bike. Venture out along the Cape Cod Rail trail which takes you through bike paths along the seashore. There are plenty of places to stop and rest or take photos and you can even bring a picnic along and to graze throughout your ride.