Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you want the best food experiences in Central Idaho, try these authentic spots:
1. The Pioneer Saloon in Ketchum-Sun Valley is a classic Old West steakhouse. “The Pio,” as most folks call the place, is famous for its prime rib, its long cozy bar and for having walls adorned with local game, like deer and elk, and memorabilia from the region’s rich Western history (including a gun that once belonged to Ernest Hemingway). As the saying in America’s original community town goes: “If you haven’t been to the Pio, you haven’t been to Sun Valley.”
2. The Narrows at Shore Lodge offers some of the best views and food in the Gem State. Overlooking Payette Lake in McCall, The Narrows is a romantic, rustic yet refined restaurant that features fresh Northwest-grown and -raised produce, game and seafood (try the king salmon or elk).
3. Konditorei in Sun Valley Resort harks back to the region’s heritage, which included scores of ski instructors from the European Alps who came to Idaho to help create the country’s first destination ski resort. Many stayed and raised families in the area, and Konditorei, located in the European-style Village at Sun Valley, passes along this heritage, offering authentic German and Austrian fare, such as the wienerschnitzel with new tomatoes, caramelized onions and lemon.
4. The Stanley Baking Company & Café is only open during the warm-weather months, usually from mid-spring through mid-fall, but what it lacks in hours it makes up for in quality and character. Its freshly baked goods — including berry scones, coffeecake and oversized cookies — are glorious. Throw in the surrounding views of the Sawtooth Mountains and you’ll have an ideal Idaho breakfast.
5. The Power House Pub and Bike Fit Studio in Hailey is certainly a one-of-kind food experience. The small restaurant and bar has a terrific patio on one side and a working bicycle studio and shop in the back. While having a mountain bike tuned up or a custom cyclocross bicycle built, enjoy a small, local-ingredient based menu (try the grass-fed burger on a challah bun) and an impressive European-centered beer list with more than 130 selections.