Answers from Our Experts (1)
When considering a stay at Wentworth Mansion, you should know the best things about the boutique hotel:
1. The food and drinks. Like a good host, Wentworth Mansion makes sure you’re never hungry or thirsty. Coffee, croissants and cinnamon buns await in the parlor every morning. Though you do get breakfast at Circa 1889 (more on that below) from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. Choose shrimp and Carolina grits with mascarpone cheese and cut-up peppers, rice flour pancakes with bacon or sausage and strawberries, or a frittata with spinach, tomatoes and cheese. During the afternoon, the caffeine gets swapped out for iced tea and lemonade in the parlor. Finally, elegant glass bottles of sherry, port and brandy offer a nightcap (though you can help yourself to some all day long). Plus, Coke, Sprite and bottled water are stocked in your mini-fridge. And all of this is complimentary.
2. Circa 1889. Set off separately from the Charleston hotel in the former carriage house, the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant is a must for foodies. Executive chef Marc Collins serves seasonal contemporary Southern cuisine. Don’t miss the antelope with Dijon baked beans, sweet blueberry-vodka-barbecue sauce, toasted benne seed slaw and a pot of spinach mac and cheese. Bonus: Hotel guests get a special $40 three-course menu.
3. Wine hour. Before you head out to dinner at Circa 1886, stop by the luxury hotel’s sun room at 5 p.m. for a wine hour. Sit in the light-filled space with a glass of vino and nibble on hors d'oeuvres such as mussels and clams on toast points, beef tartare or fondue.
4. The décor. Elegant, warm décor pervades the red-brick mansion, from the wood-filled lobby entrance with colorful Tiffany stained glass panels, to the parlor’s soft gray loveseat and grandfather clock — one of the original pieces from the Rodgers family, who built the house in 1886 — to the guest rooms with drapes, fainting couches and plush sofas in rich velvety fabrics, sleigh beds and beautiful marble fireplaces.
5. Bed. The high bed beckons you to sleep. Sink into a comfortable pillow-top mattress under crisp white sheets and a white cotton quilt-like duvet, and rest your head on the super-soft pillows.