Answers from Our Experts (2)
You’ll be hard pressed to run out of things to do and see in Chicago, especially if you’re staying at Waldorf Astoria Chicago in the heart of the buzzy Gold Coast neighborhood. Here are five activities to check out during your stay at the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. Visit the John Hancock Center. While many people know the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) as the tallest building in the United States, the John Hancock Center is the sixth-tallest building in the country and it’s just a few blocks from the luxury hotel. Here you’ll have full 360-degree views of the city and it’s gorgeous Lake Michigan shoreline.
2. Hit the bars on Rush Street. Rush Street has something going on every night until 4 a.m. The triangular intersection of Rush, State and East Bellevue Streets continues to be a place to see and be sought out.
3. Shop the best designers. High-end fashion houses and boutiques such as Prada, Marc Jacobs and Barneys New York call the Gold Coast home, and the flagship stores of Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale’s are both just a short walk from the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel.
4. Visit Millennium Park. The park hosts concerts, festivals and food tastings throughout the year. You can snap a picture with the famous Cloud Gate sculpture, which locals refer to as ‘The Bean,’ or go ice skating in the winter for the quintessential Chicago holiday experience.
5. Take in a show. Chicago has a vibrant theater scene that rivals New York’s. In the Loop (about a five minute cab ride away) you’ll find several theaters; nearby Navy Pier is home to the Tony Award-winning Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. Several other award-winning theaters are also nearby in surrounding neighborhoods.
There are plenty of great things to do near Waldorf Astoria Chicago. Collect and compare gourmet cupcakes at Sarah's Pastries on Oak Street, Sprinkles Cupcakes on Walton Street or More Cupcakes on Delaware Street. Take in some fine museum culture at the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Loyola Museum of Art both within four blocks of the hotel. Art Gallery Shopping in the River North neighborhood is approximately one mile from the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. There are 30-plus galleries at the Wells and Superior streets. Chicago is boutique fashion heaven—shop the most prestigious shops along Michigan Avenue and the Gold Coast neighborhood. Rent bikes to ride along Chicago's vibrant 26-mile lakefront.