Answers from Our Experts (1)
The accommodations in Christchurch are more likely to be found in quaint country inns than in luxurious full-service hotels. And unfortunately, several of the city’s luxury hotel choices are still rebuilding post-earthquake. Until construction is complete, here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ suggestions for the five best places to stay in Christchurch.
1. The George Christchurch. With modern decor in a vintage structure, this highly-rated boutique hotel is an ideal blend of Christchurch sensibilities, and overlooks the Avon river. With a staff ratio of 1-to-1, you’ll find the ultimate in attentive service at The George.
2. Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch. This large hotel is right near Cathedral Square, and rooms offer views of the Southern Alps. The Rendezvous has a large gym featuring a sauna, and the rooms have stylish amenities.
3. Millennium Hotel Christchurch. The Millennium is known for its large, well-appointed rooms and ideal location right on Cathedral Square, near the city's art gallery and Botanic Gardens. It’s not as plush as a luxury hotel, but it’s a convenient and comfortable place to stay.
4. Terre Vive Luxury Suites & Apartments. A brand new property built in 2012, Terre Vive is a boutique apartment complex. Each room includes a kitchenette, full bathroom and complimentary Internet access; some also have Jacuzzi tubs and balconies. It’s just a short stroll from central Christchurch and Victoria Street.
5. Otahuna Lodge. An exclusive country estate featuring just seven suites, the Otahuna Lodge personifies the term boutique. Each room in the historic building shows its heritage in features like moldings, ornate fireplaces, carved inglenooks and stained glass windows. Service is wonderfully warm as well, recalling a time past.