Answers from Our Experts (1)
Among the many things that make a trip to Italy memorable are the food and drinks — and Cinque Terre has some of the best. From the fish caught straight from the sea to the gelato, you won’t go hungry in these Italian villages. Here are some of Forbes Travel Guide’s favorite eateries:
1. Gambero Rosso (Vernazza). This spot above the beach serves high-quality cuisine and is considered one of the best restaurants in the world, despite being packed with tourists on a regular basis. Order local favorites like stuffed mussels and pasta in a shrimp sauce.
2. L’Ancora della Tortuga (Monterosso del Mare). Formerly a bunker in World War II, this regional favorite could possibly serve the best fish in Cinque Terre. Reserve a spot on the terrace and order the catch of the day.
3. Osteria a Cantina de Mananan (Corniglia). Chiseled into the cellar of a historic residence and outfitted with granite tables, the cozy Osteria a Cantina de Mananan is an exquisite option for fresh seafood. The mussels are a favorite (especially when paired with a glass of the local wine), but the handmade pastas are also worth writing home about.
4. Focaccerio Il Frontoio (Monterosso al Mare). For an authentic breakfast, head to Focaccerio Il Frantoio, where you'll wake up to piping hot espresso and the most memorable focaccia in the region of Liguria. It's also delicious later in the day topped with fresh vegetables and little cheese.
5. 5 Terre Gelateria e Creperia (Manarola). Widely known for serving the coast's best gelato, this little gelateria makes its Italian ice cream with fresh ingredients like locally grown figs, peaches and almond milk. Don't be surprised if you go back for seconds.