Answers from Our Experts (1)
Accommodations fill up quickly in Cinque Terre, so be sure to plan well in advance. The most popular place to unpack is Monterosso al Mare, but all of the villages have their own personalities. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s top places to stay in Cinque Terre:
1. Hotel Margherita (Monterosso al Mare). Located a 650 feet above the sea, Hotel Margherita is a gorgeous boutique hotel with luxurious fixings. Many of the rooms have balconies facing the water, and the hotel is just steps away from the energetic shops and restaurants of Monterosso.
2. Eremo di S.M. Maddalena (Monterosso al Mare). This historical residence was once an ancient Benedictine monastery. Today, its swimming pool with views of the sea and converted bedrooms are some of the most alluring in Monterosso. Bonus: Your stay even includes a scooter to help you get around town.
3. Ca’ d’Andrean (Manarola). Located in the charming town of Manarola, Ca’ D’Andrean is one of the peaceful village’s best hotels. Formerly the site of an oil press, the intimate 10-room hotel has since been converted to include citrus gardens, fireplaces and terraces.
4. La Torretta (Manarola). This 17th-century house with sea views, terraces and a solarium is a favorite in Manarola. La Torretta’s intimate location and wine bar make for a great romantic escape.
5. La Malá (Vernazza). La Malá practically hangs off a cliff at the edge of the enchanting village of Vernazza. Many people love it, but be advised that La Mala is an intimate property with just four rooms. The breakfast room is right next to bedrooms, which could be an issue if you’re not an early riser. From the stone terraces and breathtaking views to the blend of modern and antique furnishings, you will find a home away from home at La Malá.