Answers from Our Experts (1)
Even at a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star resort with its share of fantastic restaurants, both formal and casual, Play stands out as something different. Here are five things to know about Play at The Broadmoor:
1. It is more than a restaurant. Although Play serves an excellent array of comfort foods between noon and 1 a.m. and has an elegant dining room filled with studded, red leather chairs, it’s as much an entertainment venue as a restaurant. Six bowling lanes shine under the light of bejeweled chandeliers, and a game room houses a shuffleboard table and video games.
2. It’s open late. Play serves up food, drinks and games until 1 a.m. every day and offers an active alternative to The Broadmoor’s other late-night spots, Golden Bee and The Hotel Bar. From 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., order bites such as sliders, hot dogs and nachos from a special late-night menu.
3. The menu is globally influenced. Chef David Patterson’s playful menu reimages what bowling food should be as he incorporates flavors from his world travels. A few favorites from among the sushi rolls, sliders and “big plates” are the Koh Si Chang calamari with jalapeño and sriracha mayo; the Acapulco shrimp ceviche with avocado, lime and cilantro; and the New Mexico nachos with smoked pork and green chiles.
4. But Colorado drinks are a specialty. The Colorado Springs restaurant’s drinks menus are impressive in scope and creativity, but the stars may be the Colorado brews. Local favorites available on tap or bottled include Odell, Great Divide, Tommyknocker, Bristol Brewing and Avery. Colorado’s Downslope rum, 303 vodka and Leopold Bros. whiskey are on the menu, too; the latter’s apple-flavored version shines in the Harvest Old-Fashioned cocktail with muddled grapes, housemade cinnamon bitters and soda.
5. There are several seating options. Make a reservation for the dining room or sit at the bar or lounge. There is also a non-seating option if you’d prefer to nibble while you bowl. Perhaps the best way to experience Play is to enjoy appetizers while you bowl and then finish your meal in the cozy, adjacent dining room.