A luxe tropical getaway in Costa Rica
Located in Arenal Volcano National Park, Nayara Springs is a Costa Rican getaway that teems with tropical beauty and biodiversity. It’s an adults-only resort and has a way with seclusion — this spot is popular with honeymooners or anyone looking to really get away.
The 16 villas offer a range of luxe amenities, from laundry to international calls. Each villa is designed with indigenous wood and local stones, and include an outdoor shower, private swimming pool fed by mineral springs and an oversized bathroom. A dedicated buggy or electric cart is available to explore the lush forest.
With four onsite restaurants and bars, it's the ideal place to unwind after a full day of sightseeing. To unwind even further, opt for the Signature Nayara spa treatment, a traditional massage with an application of volcanic mineral-rich mud to nourish skin.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The open-air spa has indulgent treatments with volcanic mud taken from deep volcanic earth and chocolate clay made of organic cocoa beans. Treatments are given in private open-air pavilions and other luxury amenities like a steam room and sauna.
• Don't miss the bird watching around the property. You need to wake up early (around 6 a.m.) to spot toucan, but spying the elusive colorful birds are worth it.
• Romance can be found all over the property, including dinner at the sultry Amor Loco, which often has live music and always has delicious cocktails. (Tip: order the ceviche).
What to Know
• Since the Costa Rica hotel is rather secluded and surrounded by jungle, you can’t just go for a leisurely stroll. There is a complimentary daily shuttle that goes to the town of La Fortuna, about 15 minutes away.
• Nayara Springs is a resort within a resort — its larger sister property is located across a long footbridge. Those traveling with kids can book rooms at the family-friendly Nayara Hotel Spa & Gardens. Guests are free to use the facilities at the adjoining hotel.
• The spa hosts belly dance or salsa lessons every day; there’s also morning yoga.
• All four of the restaurants inside Nayara are closed to the public, so you don’t have to worry about crowds and scoring reservations. Amor Loco is the flagship restaurant and serves Mediterranean fare; Terrace by the Pool dishes out light, healthy meals; Altamira Restaurant whips up Costa Rican and international foods (the breakfast is always complimentary); and Asia Luna blends Asian and Peruvian cuisines in a colorful indoor/outdoor dining room.
• Nayara Springs has a fine view of the famous Arenal Volcano, but it is often hidden behind clouds.
• The villas have serious wow factor. Each one boasts a wooden terrace with daybed and hammocks, a private garden and dual rain showers.
• Inside, the 1,500-square-foot villas are decked out with four-poster beds, carved wooden furniture, and ethnic textiles.
• Each private plunge pool is secluded with tropical vegetation for couples to relax in privacy.
• An array of luxury amenities are complimentary: in-room breakfast, a personal host, full mini-bar and snacks (except for the wine and liquor), daily yoga, international phone calls and laundry.
• Costa Rica is known for its numerous opportunities for adventure, and you’ll have access to it all with Nayara Springs as a home base. Let your personal assistant book your excursions for you.
• Go for an unforgettable horseback ride through Arenal Volcano region, the rainforest and along pastures and rivers.
• Taking the Arenal Hanging Bridges Tour is a great way to see the area's delicate flora and exotic fauna without breaking a serious sweat.
• Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge and get close to the Nicaraguan border during a four-hour floating safari through tropical rainforest.
• Other adrenaline-inducing options include ziplining, white water rafting, canyoning, biking and riding through the landscape on an ATV.
• For an authentic Costa Rican experience, take the Organic Coffee Tour and learn more about the process of making coffee, from seed to brew, and then taste different coffee samples.