Crested Butte is the kind of town people intend to visit for a weekend, but stay much, much longer. There’s so much to do and the views are so intoxicating, no one wants to leave. If you’re not sure where to start your vacation, try one of these can’t-miss activities:
1. Play at Mt. Crested Butte. Crested Butte Mountain Resort and its surrounding area offer year-round events and adventure, whether you like to ski, mountain bike, shop, or take a zipline tour high above the ground. The mountain town also hosts festivals year-round.
2. Go off-roading. Hop in a Jeep and leave the rest to the guide who knows the lay of the land. Explore the high alpine environment of Gunnison National Forest, where you’ll be treated to unrivaled views of the Paradise Divide. Some of the roads will have you white knuckled in spots, but the payoff is views of scenery so stunning, you’ll question whether it’s real.
3. Visit the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame and Museum. Since the 1970s, when locals started retrofitting old Schwinn paperboy bikes with multiple gears, Crested Butte has helped write the history of mountain biking. Even if you don’t ride, you’ll enjoy the exhibits and stories told here.
4. Explore the trails around town. Whether you hike to the summit of the ski resort or rent a mountain bike and hit the Singletrack, no trip to Crested Butte is complete without at least setting foot on a dirt trail. You don’t have to go far to appreciate the phenomenal scenery and lush wildflower-filled meadows. And if you need someone to show you the way, guides are available for hire.
5. Unwind at a spa. With all the adrenaline-pumping activities you’ll be doing, you’ll want to unwind at one of the many top-rated day spas around town. Most offer sports massages as well as a traditional menu of Swedish massage, facials and aromatherapy. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors think it’s the best way to relax after wearing yourself out on the mountain.