Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids can have a great time riding bikes and exploring on the mountain, swimming in numerous rivers or lakes, or wandering the town of Crested Butte. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ favorite things to do with kids:
1. Play at Rainbow Park. Let your little ones run free at the playground at Crested Butte’s newest regional park. This isn’t your average playground — children can hike on the climbing boulder while you relax by the pond. Don’t forget to pack a picnic and enjoy lunch in Rainbow Pavilion.
2. Hear a story at Townie Books. This independently owned bookshop has a lot to offer for kids, including a hefty collection of children’s books. Whether you’re looking for a puzzle or a bit of Crested Butte History, Townie Books has it. In addition to signings and poetry readings, this mountain town bookstore hosts story time for kids every Saturday.
3. Visit the Trailhead Children’s Discovery Museum. Located in an out building near the foot of Mt. Crested Butte, the museum hosts daily science and art activities, and spaces for fun kids activities like dressing up, painting or digging in the dirt.
With three locations scattered throughout Crested Butte, including one at the base of the ski resort, Camp 4 Coffee is a great place to bring the kids for a midday smoothie. Choose between peach pear and strawberry banana.
4. Hit the slopes. Crested Butte Mountain Resort offers spectacular ski and snowboard camps for kids between the ages of 3 and 17. The renowned ski resort also offers an intensive ski camp in March.
5. Explore the mountain base. Crested Butte Mountain Resort has an adventure park at the base, as well as kids’ summer camp and one of the best ski school programs in the Rockies. Whether you’re visiting in the snowy winter and spring or the refreshing summer and fall, your kids will have a blast in Crested Butte.