Answers from Our Experts (1)
Crete is the largest island in Greece and attracts a quarter of Greece’s international tourists every year, so you’ll find a full range of top-quality hotels here that aim to enhance the island’s breathtaking surroundings. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the five best places to stay:
1. Domes of Elounda. It may look like a Mediterranean village, but it’s all modern-day luxury at this charming spot on the sea. On the coast of Elounda, the hotel features small architectural domes, touches of Moorish accents (mirrored furniture, silver basins) and local art throughout the property. Guest rooms are a mix of dome-topped villas and suites — all have stunning sea views.
2. Paradise Island Villas. These 12 Mediterranean-style villas in Anissaras offer the charm of a luxury boutique hotel with sea and mountain views. Choose between a sprawling family villa and one made just for two. The hotel also has two main outdoor pools, a restaurant, poolside lounge and a spa.
3. Blue Palace Resort & Spa. This hotel on the coast of Elounda offers all the perks of a large resort with the seclusion of a boutique hotel. Come here to enjoy private infinity pools, a sprawling gym and elevator that will whisk you right down to the cliff-side beach. The excellent beachside spa has three thalasso pools and two traditional Turkish hammams.
4. Grecotel Amirandes. Designed in the spirit of grand Minoan palaces, lavish Grecotel Amirandes features private beaches and over 60 private pools. The Heraklion hotel has six restaurants, private beaches, a spa, an outdoor seawater pool and 212 guest rooms with luxe amenities.
5. Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel. One of the island’s most high-end hotels, the Elounda Peninsula offers standard guestrooms that include jetted tubs and private sun decks. Once you move to a suite, you’ll be treated to additional perks like private gardens and easy beach access.