Answers from Our Experts (1)
The beach isn’t the only place to go for some family fun in Crete — kids will enjoy the many educational and sporty activities the island provides as well. Here are five things to do with kids recommended by our Forbes Travel Guide editors:
1. Aquaworld Aquarium Hersonissos Crete. Kids will love looking at the more than 60 tanks here that are filled with more than 250 Mediterranean sea creatures.
2. Pirate ships. Board the Barbarossa or Captain Hook pirate ships and cruise off from Rethymno to explore the coast of Crete.
3. Water parks. Crete has four great water parks to choose from: Limnoupolis Water Park in Chania; the Acqua Plus Water Park and Star Beach Water Park in Hersonissos; and Water City in Iraklio.
4. Sasteria Observatory. Located in the mountainous village of Agios Stefanos, the Sasteria Observatory is open day and night to view the sky through a collection of modern telescopes.
5. Dikteon Cave. Take a tour to discover the stalagmites and stalactites in Dikteon Cave, where according to Greek mythology Zeus was born.