Answers from Our Experts (1)
The sights and sounds of New Delhi fascinate at any age, but for some extra special memories with your kids, our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend checking out the following:
1. Lodi Gardens. This lush park is an oasis in the midst of frenzied Delhi. Littered with Mughal ruins, the real delight comes from chasing after the peacocks and coaxing them to display their flamboyant feathers.
2. Sulabh International Museum of Toilets. Courtesy of the entrepreneurs attempting to improve sanitation standards in India, this quirky collection showcases dozens of porcelain thrones dating as far back as 2500 B.C. The elephant-shaped model is particularly amusing.
3. Gandhi Smriti. For an educational moment, take your children to the bungalow where Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of India, spent his last days. In addition to learning about his theories on non-violence, you’ll also see the spot where the revered leader was assassinated on January 30, 1948.
4. Sound & Light Show. Narrated by the country’s biggest Bollywood star, this dramatic performance at Red Fort illustrates the rise and fall of Delhi with just over an hour of dazzling special effects.
5. The Big Chill Café. Indian sweets are delicious, but for a taste of home, treat the whole family to thick milkshakes at this legendary spot in Khan Market. The maple walnut and After Eight shakes are especially revitalizing on a sweltering Delhi day.