Seclusion in Dublin’s leafy Ballsbridge
InterContinental Dublin serves as the city’s most secluded luxury stay. Homed in the prestigious Dublin 4 address — rubbing shoulders with the capital’s embassies and preserved Georgian properties — the hotel sits about a 10-minute drive from the city center.
There’s a privacy that wins out for those who value discretion above all else, and a stay here is the closest thing to a luxury, serviced apartment; the extensive private car park, generously spacious suites, full gym, laundry service and 24-hour room service make it easy for long- and short-term guests to feel at home.
The décor and vibe are sophisticated. Drop chandeliers, plush sofas and subtle artwork greet you on arrival, while the recently renovated rooms are all about quality — unfussy and supremely spacious are the name of the game.
As for refreshments, the Whiskey Bar lives up to its name, boasting more than 100 of the world’s finest blends amid leather armchairs and plush, oak-paneled walls, while the Lobby Lounge serves light fare and afternoon tea.
Seasons Restaurant is more of a fine-dining affair, seating up to 120 diners, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch with panache.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• As a health-conscious hotel, InterContinental Dublin will ensure you have the freshest produce, healthiest breakfast and snacks. There’s even a daily jogging club that takes guests to the waterfront for an early sweat.
• The pillow butler will, quite literally, tailor your bedding to your preference.
• The Junior Presidential Suite has a private entrance to the Butler Kitchen and a walk-in closet, should you want your room service or laundry delivered without eating the staff.
• The gym is extensive — no sad, singular running machine here — and the 46-foot-long pool is a veritable dream for those who favor a peaceful and private dip.
• For meetings or private presentations, book The Reading Room, a beautiful, cozy drawing room off the main lobby at the Dublin hotel.
What to Know
• The hotel’s Ice Bar is not open daily, but can be requested for private hire.
• The spacious ground-floor business center makes working here a breeze.
• Whether you need an express lunch, guided tour or private car service, the concierge team will go to great lengths to grant your every wish.
• The spa has its own private entrance to the parking lot, ideal for a discreet getaway.
• Dublin residents can take advantage of a 10 percent discount on spa treatments.
• There are eight types of rooms: Deluxe, Executive, Contemporary, Junior Suites, Executive Suites, Deluxe Suites, Pembroke Suites and the Presidential Suite, which fills up about a year in advance.
• The standard accommodations, the Deluxe Guestrooms, measure in at 447 square feet and are widely recognized as the largest hotel rooms in the city.
• Every bedroom boasts white marble bathrooms with a deep-soaking bath and separate walk-in shower, soft bathrobes and slippers, a satellite TV with DVD and CD player, a minibar and a safe.
• Many rooms overlook the tree-lined luxury hotel courtyard and landscaped gardens.
• The newly refurbished Seasons restaurant, overlooking the courtyard terrace, serves what it calls “artwork on a plate” via a seasonal menu with local produce. Think homebred venison shoulders, fresh fish dishes and classic desserts with an Irish flourish.
• The Lobby Lounge turns out pastries, sandwiches, salads and drinks all day along with an extensive children’s menu and a classic afternoon tea.
• Their are countless restaurants in the neighborhood, including the uber-cool café/bistro Juniors, the Sussex pub and the carnivore heaven that is the ChopHouse Gastropub.