On September 18, 2012Maureen Healy answered the question:With a relaxed vibe and plenty of outdoor space, Portland is a kid-friendly city, filled with things to do for families. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ five favorite kid-approved activities in Portland:
1. Go to the Oregon Zoo. This attraction is home to more than 2,200 animals in habitats simulating environments from the Pacific Northwest to the Serengeti. Kids will love the train that winds its way through the zoo grounds and Washington Square Park.
2. Pack a picnic and walk up Mount Tabor. This city park offers breathtaking views of the city from the volcanic cinder cone, plus tennis courts, picnic areas and a playground teeming with play mates.
3. Story time at Café Au Play. This nonprofit coffeehouse and play center in Southeast Portland hosts activities for kids, including music, puppet shows and story time.
4. Visit the Portland Children’s Museum. This interactive museum is filled with hands-on exhibits from a clay studio to “the Garage,” where kids can take part in earth-friendly construction projects.
5. Play a round at Glowing Greens. This pirate-themed glow-in-the-dark miniature golf course comes in handy during bad weather — or if you have a wannabe Jack Sparrow in your family.