Answers from Our Experts (1)
White sand beach and aquamarine waters are what make the Florida Gulf Coast famous. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the five best places to stay:
1. Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. If this Hilton’s white beaches and emerald green waters aren’t enough, then perhaps a round of golf on one of the four championship courses is more convincing. The property has activities for kids a full-service spa.
2. WaterColor Inn and Resort. Located on an enviable waterfront spot in Santa Rosa Beach, this luxury boutique hotel features dune-level bungalows with private courtyards and outdoor showers. The upper-level rooms are just as luxurious, with large balconies and views of the gulf.
3. Portofino Island Resort and Spa. This spot is located 10 miles south of Pensacola on the protected beaches of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Aside form a spectacular view of the gulf or the Santa Rosa Sound, each room at this private retreat offers a fully equipped kitchen and washer and dryer. When you tire of the beach, choose from one of the seven different swimming pools.
4. Hederson Park Inn. This inn has been refurbishes since Hurricane Ivan and resembles a New England coastal retreat. It has 35 rooms spread in its two ocean side buildings. The rooms are luxuriously appointed with four-poster beds, fireplaces, large walk out verandas. Gather around the tiki hut to watch the sun set.
5. Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village. This harbor side spot in Destin is great for families and groups, as it offers endless water activities, shuttles to the beach and a massive outdoor pool overlooking the Gulf of Mexico and Destin Harbor.