Answers from Our Experts (1)
It’s not all grouper and key lime pie in the Florida Keys—not that we couldn’t happily get by eating both. Here’s Forbes Travel Guide’s list of the best places to eat in the Keys:
1. The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. The Flaming Buoy is a Key West neighborhood gem, where the on-site owners are friendly and welcoming. Featuring fresh local seafood, everything is prepared to order. Specialties include lobster macaroni and cheese, fresh catch with banana salsa, and for dessert, a spicy chocolate quesadilla.
2. Azur Restaurant. Azur is wonderful for brunch, lunch or dinner when in Key West. If you can’t get enough key lime pie, order the French toast, which is stuffed with it. Dinner includes tasting plates, “almost entrees” such as roasted beets and gnocchi, and heartier dishes including seafood risotto and snapper.
3. Sparky’s Landing. Located in Marathon in the Key Colony Beach Marina, Sparky’s Landing is a fun place for drinks and has a huge menu featuring everything from fish tacos to burgers and pizzas. Try the gratinee appetizer filled with fresh fish, cream sauce and cheese.
4. Pilot House. It is well worth the effort to find this out-of-the-way restaurant in Key Largo. The food is fresh and delicious and prices are reasonable. Combine that with a water view, glass bottom bar and live entertainment in the evenings and it can’t be beat.
5. Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen. Mrs. Mac’s recently opened a second Key Largo location nearly across the street from the original, license-plate-covered one, but kept all of its popular foods. From salads to sandwiches, everything is fresh. The menu is huge and there is something for everyone. Try the TJ style fish of the day topped with stewed tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeños with black beans and rice.