Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you want to take your kids someplace where they can spend their time discovering and being active outdoors, consider the Florida Keys for your next family vacation. Spend your days learning about ecosystems and evenings gobbling up key lime pie. Check out this list from our Forbes Travel Guide editors on the best things to do with kids in the Keys.
1. Visit Pigeon Key, Marathon. Step back in time as you visit buildings from the early 1900s, when Henry Flagler was building his railroad through the Keys. Ride the ferry and see both the new and old Seven Mile bridges.
2. Head to Florida Keys Eco-Discovery Center. The Eco-Discovery Center in Key West is a great place to learn about the fish and wildlife of the Florida Keys through interactive displays and exhibits. It’s fun for the entire family—plus it’s free.
3. Relax at The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory. Stroll through a magical environment with hundreds of butterflies. The conservatory houses more than 50 kinds of butterflies, exotic birds and tropical flowering plants.
4. Get moving at Founders Park, Islamorada. Founders Park is a great spot for tennis, water sports, swimming and more. The park includes an Olympic swimming pool, ball fields and a dog park.
5. Tarpon Feeding at Robbie’s of Islamadora. Robbie’s offers fishing excursions but kids and adults also come in droves to feed the dozens of tarpon that congregate at the end of the dock each day. It’s a sight to see these large silver-blue fish open their large mouths and feed on the fish.