Answers from Our Experts (1)
When you think of the world’s gastronomy capitals, Glasgow may not come high on the list. But you’d be surprised how many great restaurants you can find:
1. Ubiquitous Chip. Recently voted the country’s “Restaurant of The Year” by readers of The Good Food Guide, the Ubiquitous Chip serves up the best of seasonal Scottish cuisine. So you can dig into dishes like Perthshire pigeon breast and Aberdeen Angus fillet steak.
2. Gamba. Probably the best fish restaurant in Glasgow, Gamba serves sustainable seafood in a warm and welcoming setting. Our favorite dish is the pan-fried gray mullet with shrimp, almonds and capers.
3. Red Onion. For a taste of modern Scottish cuisine, try the celebrity hot spot Red Onion. Located in the Glasgow city center, Red Onion prides itself on producing new interpretations of classic Scottish cuisine, with its signature dish being (inevitably) fresh fish and chips with mushy peas.
4. Assam’s. In the 21st century, chicken tikka masala is as much a part of the Scottish culinary landscape as blood pudding. So if you fancy something a little spicier during your visit, head to this Indian restaurant, which has one of the best three-course banquets in the city.
5. Celino’s. One of the finest Italian delicatessens in the United Kingdom, the atmospheric Celino’s is famous for its delicious (and affordable) tapas. Our choice, however, would be the vegetarian lasagna.