Answers from Our Experts (1)
The influx of travelers means that everything from traditional seafood restaurants to Cajun chicken and Chinese food is available in Guatemala. Here are five of the best flavor experiences to take advantage of while you're here:
1. Cuevita de las Urquizas. At some point, you're going to want to try tipico food, usually kept in earthenware pots and served up in generous, occasionally tough-to-identify portions. And this reputable Antigua eatery makes the experience easy to navigate and delicious.
2. Fata Morgana. If you're exploring Lake Atitlan, you might need to fuel up with top-notch Italian coffee and pastries. This romantic café also does dinner, complete with homemade breads and pastas. It’s a legit touch of Italy in the middle of Central America, but one that agrees with its surroundings.
3. Restaurante Korea. Perhaps authentic Korean food is not what you've been imagining when planning a trip to Central America, but you'd be remiss to deny yourself the opportunity at this restaurant in Antigua. Dishes are authentic, wine is made of rice, and the ambiance is pleasant, too.
4. El Cafecito. Authentic and delectable Portuguese fare, including plenty of hearty stews and fresh-grilled fish, are available at this Antigua spot, which somehow feels completely appropriate.
5. Restaurante Doña Luisa Xicotencatl. One of the most famous spots for carb-lovers in Antigua, this low-key bakery offers a beautiful patio for lounging and nibbling on the different breads that seem to pour out of the oven on a regular basis.