Answers from Our Experts (1)
Kids will find many things to delight them in Halifax, from maritime adventures to interactive science exhibits to going on a ghost walk. Read on for Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ choices for the five best things to do with kids on a Halifax visit.
1. Visit Theodore Too. Young minds will be blown when they stroll down Cable Wharf and see the giant smiling tugboat in the big red hat. Theodore Too is a loving life-sized re-creation of the eponymous Theodore Tugboat of PBS fame. Hop on board for a tour that lets your kids live the Big Harbor adventures they’ve seen so many times on television.
2. Get schooled at the Maritime Museum. Continue your day’s salty theme with a visit to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic on Lower Water Street. With lots of hands-on exhibits and a laid-back, welcoming atmosphere, it’s a great spot for kids to explore and learn about the Titanic, swashbuckling pirates and the World Wars. You can see shipbuilders at work and explore a retired hydrographic vessel moored dockside.
3. Check out the Discovery Centre. Just up the hill on Barrington Street, the Discovery Centre is another great spot for learning disguised as fun. In the hands-on science centre, kids can explore trippy optical illusions, stand inside a giant bubble and even freeze a banana in liquid nitrogen.
4. Explore Point Pleasant Park. On a sunny summer day, Point Pleasant Park is the ideal place for the kids to romp. Surrounded by ocean on the southern tip of the Halifax peninsula, the park boasts miles of woodland and seaside trails, with ancient fortifications to explore, lots of green spaces for picnicking, theatre alfresco with Shakespeare by the Sea (productions throughout the summer) and a supervised beach.
5. Take the Halifax Ghost Walk. After dark, things take a spooky twist with the Halifax Ghost Walk. Meeting at 8:30 p.m. at the Old Town Clock on Citadel Hill (just take the steps up from Sackville Street), narrators lead you through historic Halifax’s nooks and crannies, sharing tales of pirates, ghosts and haunted houses on a unique tour that’s chilling fun for all ages.