Answers from Our Experts (1)
Hangzhou has a number of upscale hotels, and many are centered around West Lake. Here are Forbes Travel Guides editors’ picks for the five best places to stay in Hangzhou:
1. Amanfayun. This luxury collection of 47 restored farm houses is 20 minutes from the city center and perfect for people who really want to escape. The houses — some of which date back 100 years — are part of the tiny village of Fayun and are surrounded by stone pathways, bamboo and a monastery.
2. Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake. This Four Seasons hotel is located on West Lake, but it’s far from the groups of tourists that descend on the area daily. There’s a playroom for kids (complete with toys and a TV and DVD player) and two pools, one inside and one out. The grounds have ponds and lagoons woven throughout, plus gorgeous landscaped gardens.
3. Shangri-La. This 40-acre property on West Lake is a scenic historic landmark and feels removed from city life. The large rooms have high vaulted ceilings and are well appointed. You’ll find a luxe full-service spa and several restaurants, including one of the finest Italian eateries in the city.
4. Bayan Tree Hangzhou. Located within Xixi National Wetland Park, this charming luxury hotel has 72 suites and villas decorated with authentic Chinese antiques. The rooms and villas fleck the grounds of the little resort village, which has several restaurants and an intimate spa that specializes in ancient health and beauty therapies.
5. Tea Boutique Hotel. This modern 43-room hotel has spacious accommodations with complimentary tea and fruit. While it is not right on West Lake, the popular tourist site is just a short walk away via leafy paths.