Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are an overwhelming number of places to stay in Johannesburg, and that’s not a bad thing. Whether you want a boutique hotel with old-world charm or a resort complete with championship golf course, you can find it all at a competitive price. Our Forbes Travel Guide editors have narrowed it down to the five best places to stay in South Africa’s largest city.
1. Fairlawns Boutique Hotel & Spa. With the owners living onsite, the 40 uniquely decorated suites that make up the Fairlawns Boutique Hotel are well-kept and highly sought after. Located in Sandton, sit under one of the relaxing pool umbrellas and you’d never imagine you’re in the middle of Johannesburg.
2. The Westcliff Hotel. Wake up to a sunrise unlike any other in a hotel that makes its home in the cliffs of Joburg. Chauffeurs in golf carts transport guests in this sprawling resort that’s tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The only sounds you’ll hear are the lions roaring from the nearby zoo.
3. The Peech Hotel. This ecofriendly hotel holds the coveted Fair Trade in Tourism certificate, and the 16-room establishment is proud of its sustainability efforts. Once a private residence, rooms include bright décor, private patios or balconies and views of the lush gardens.
4. The Nicol Hotel & Apartments. The best self-catering option in Johannesburg, the modern apartments boast fully stocked kitchens, plasma TVs and Wi-Fi. There’s also an onsite pool and secure basement parking. This is the best option for those who want all the amenities of a hotel, but the ease and independence of a home.
5. Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. Oozing Hollywood charm, complete with its Melrose neighborhood location, the Protea hotel chain got it right with this property. The late-night bar attracts both business travelers and tourists, and the proximity to many of Johannesburg’s hot spots makes this a popular destination.