Answers from Our Experts (1)
There’s no shortage of things to do with kids in Johannesburg, South African’s largest city. From a children’s theater to animal encounters to amusement parks, children will have just as much fun as their parents on a vacation to Jozi; start by checking out our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the five best activities for kids:
1. Bird Gardens at Montecasino. Yes, it’s a casino, but the bird exhibits are worth a trip with the kids. While the adults may want to hit the tables, make sure to explore the park with more than 60 species of birds, as well as a collection of reptiles and mammals. The walk-through aviary provides a close-up experience perfect for little safari seekers.
2. Visit the tallest building in Africa. Kids will love seeing the views of Johannesburg. Visit the Carlton Centre’s observation deck on the 50th floor and play “I Spy” with the group before descending down from the 223-meter skyscraper to continue the day, or night.
3. Tour the Johannesburg Zoo. There is no such thing as too many animals when vacationing in Johannesburg. The zoo in Parkview offers tours and programs that rotate each month, and have included a tour of the zoo kitchen and an encounter with the culturally iconic honey badger. Make sure to call ahead for reservations.
4. Sandboarding at Mount Mayhem. Joburg is hours from snow-capped mountains, but that doesn’t deter boarders who crave the thrills of an extreme sport. Trips are on the weekends or on weekdays for groups, and are designed for beginners of all ages with professional instruction.
5. Tour a toyshop. A store unlike any other, The African Toyshop is full of treasures from neighboring countries like Angola, Congo, Kenya and Mozambique. Let the kids pick their own souvenirs, which will mean more to them than the run-of-the-mill T-shirt.