Answers from Our Experts (1)
Honeymooners and couples planning a romantic getaway, take note: Koh Samui is an ideal destination to splurge on a stay at a luxurious hotel or resort. Per-night rates at the island’s top spots are generally much lower than those you’ll find in places like the Caribbean, while some of the amenities and secluded locations will simply blow you away. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for the best places to stay in Koh Samui:
1. Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui. With 60 posh one-bedroom villas and 14 sprawling private residences — all 74 of which come with a private pool, terrazzo bathtub and incredible views of the Gulf of Siam and Koh Phan Ngan — the Four Seasons offers island luxury at its absolute finest. Beyond the accommodations, facilities here also include a private beach, world-class spa, excellent onsite restaurants, infinity pool and more. In a word, wow.
2. Six Senses Samui. We wouldn’t mind spending a month or two being pampered beyond belief at Six Senses Samui, where in the morning you can join yoga sessions on the beach, spend the afternoon lounging by a magnificent infinity pool then enjoy a 90-minute “four-hand” massage before dinner at an award-winning restaurant overlooking the ocean. All but 14 of the resort’s villas have private pools, while all include plunge bathtubs, butler service, Wi-Fi access and breathtaking views.
3. InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. One of the first and still-finest luxury resorts on Koh Samui, the secluded InterContinental is a particularly popular wedding location — and with good reason. Set on 22 pristine acres on the island’s western coast, the grounds and views here are impossibly picturesque, guest rooms, suites and villas are decked out with stylish furnishings and a host of top-rate amenities and facilities include a wellness spa, seven pools and the Air Bar, one of the most spectacular spots on the island for sunset cocktails.
4. Banyan Tree Samui. When you want privacy, head to the hidden-away hills of Banyan Tree Samui. The elevated Thai-style villas are perched to give you a fantastic vista of the water from the floor-to-ceiling windows. If the ocean doesn’t beckon you, your villa’s private outdoor pool certainly will.
5. Napasai. Okay, you probably expected all of our picks for Koh Samui’s top accommodations to be located on patches of secluded batches and to offer amenities that would make the world’s richest celebs jealous — but did you predict any to have a family of buffalo wandering the grounds? Didn’t think so. You’ll find that and much more at Napasai, a swish Orient-Express resort located on the island’s northern coast with 55 palatial villas and 14 private residences right on the ocean, the latter of which you can actually purchase. Gourmet dining options here are highlighted by your choice of two spectacular settings: on the beach or in the privacy of your villa.