Answers from Our Experts (2)
Wisconsin's Kohler and Sheboygan area treats travelers on a budget to some worthwhile free attractions. Here are our favorite five free things to do:
1) Kohler Design Center and Factory Tour. It's often referred to as the "Toilet Museum," but we promise this three-story design-and-tech-driven bathroom museum is worth a visit. The museum features magazine cover-worthy bathroom and kitchen designs plucked from the past, present and future of Kohler's catalog. Admission is free, and so is a three-hour tour of the fully operating Kohler factory .
2) John Michael Kohler Arts Center. How a small hamlet like Sheboygan ended up with a daring 12-gallery museum like this can be attributed to a single force: The Kohler family. Ladies and gents, be sure to check out the famous mosaic urinal murals in the men's bathroom.
3) Old Plank Road Trail. Bike rentals will cost you, but strolling this scenic nature trail that runs through Kohler all the way to Lake Michigan is gratis.
4) Sheboygan Indian Mound Park. Learn about central Wisconsin's earliest people by studying this series of 18 animal- and geometric-shaped mounds built in the Black River area by nomadic peoples between 500 and 1000 AD.
5) Bookworm Garden. Families will enjoy the quiet and beauty of these beautifully maintained gardens with ponds and barns, as well as an elaborate tree house, that recall different well-known children's stories. A fairytale-esque Tudor-style field house offers readings and workshops.
Here are the best five free things to do in Kohler:
1. Tour the Kohler Design Center.
2. Tour the Factory: "The Industry in Action" factory tour has been known as one of the best factory tours in the country.
3. Tour The American Club and learn its history.
4. Tour John Michael Kohler Arts Center.
5. Enjoy the walking paths throughout the village.