Answers from Our Experts (2)
It's not surprising that many of the Kohler area's top attractions can be found at the luxury, amenity-packed American Club resort, although there are a few worthy reasons to venture out now and then. Here are our recommendations for the top five things to do in Kohler, Wis.:
1. Whistling Straits. Make sure you play a round at this scenic, lake-hugging, Pete Dye-designed golf course that once hosted the PGA Championship. Part of The American Club, the course is one of the region's biggest draws.
2. The John Michael Kohler Art Center. See what's new at this arts center located in nearby Sheboygan. It hosts contemporary art exhibits in its 12 galleries and also features two performance spaces, a cafe and, most famously, its breathtaking painted tile urinals. Yes, urinals.
3. Kohler Waters Spa. Also on The American Club grounds, make an appointment at this Five-Star spa with a national reputation for its innovative, therapeutic water treatments and other rejuvenating services.
4. The Kohler Design Center. We guarantee this will be the most interesting bathroom fixture museum you will ever set foot in. Meander around the 36,000-square-feet of displays that showcase the company's most forward-thinking kitchen, bath and room designs from throughout the ages.
5. Old Plank Road Recreation Trail. Bike along this 17-mile paved trail, which runs from the Lake Michigan coastline to the historic burg of Greenbush.
Here's our list of the best five things to see and do in Kohler:
Golf at one of our four Reader's Digest Top 100 golf courses.
Visit the only Forbes Five-Star spa in Wisconsin, The Kohler Waters Spa.
Visit the Design Center showroom, which is a three-level showcase of innovative product design and technology, creative achievement and American history.
Dine at the American Club's 4 Diamond showcase restaurant, the Immigrant Room.
Horseback through River Wildlife's pristine forested area in Kohler where the beautiful Sheboygan River is located and lots of wildlife can be seen.