Answers from Our Experts (1)
As with other major cities in Japan, Kyoto offers a variety of accommodations to fit every budget and need, from traditional ryokan (Japanese-style inns) to capsule hotels for businessmen on the go. Here are a few places to consider:
1. Kyoto Hotel Okura. If being in the middle of the city is key, then consider staying at the Kyoto Hotel. Set in the tallest building in Kyoto, the entire hotel offers spectacular views. The property dates back to 1888, but now offers modern amenities with décor inspired by the Art Deco era.
2. Rihga Royal Hotel Kyoto. A classic luxury hotel in the Shimogyo area, the Rihga is a large business and leisure hotel complex that offers friendly and professional service. Amenities include computers in the lobby, a lap pool, four restaurants and a men’s sauna.
3. Westin Miyako Hotel Kyoto. A venerable property that dates back to the 1890s, the Westin Miyako complex covers 16 acres that include rolling hills, Japanese gardens, a wild bird sanctuary and trails for exploring. Rooms — which all feature signature Heavenly Beds — are spacious and modern. The hotel is located near many of Kyoto’s most famous temples.
4. Hyatt Regency Kyoto. If you’re looking for large international hotel, you can’t beat the Hyatt Regency Kyoto located in the historic area of Higashiyama Shichijo. The rooms are spacious and stylish, with deep-soaking bathtubs, high-speed Internet access and Wi-Fi; the hotel also features a world-class spa, a variety of restaurants, and a multilingual staff
5. Hotel Kanra Kyoto. For an ultra-modern option, stay at this Kyoto hotel near the train station. In the lobby, the lighting from the odd-shaped panels change frequently. The minimalist rooms have neutral hues and wood with Kyoto-inspired art (check out the driftwood pieces that are positioned like sculptures). Despite its contemporary design, there are still classic touches — most come with a tatami room, a traditional sitting room with tatami mat flooring, and bathrooms with fragrant cedar bathtubs. Be sure to take the hotel’s electric bikes out for a spin in the city.