Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are no amusement parks or shopping malls on Lanai, but there are plenty of kid-friendly experiences on the stunning island. Here are our top picks for things to do with kids on Lanai:
1. Picnic at Dole Park. In the center of Lanai City is Dole Park, a large grassy park lined with Norfolk pines. It stretches six blocks and is easily the center of the island’s close-knit community.
2. Explore the waters at Hulopoe Bay. The pristine beauty of this bay, located on the island’s southern coast, is enough to lure you. But it’s also the best spot for snorkeling on the island. The bay is a protected site, teeming with marine life. You’ll often see spinner dolphins playing in the bay and, during the winter months, migrating humpback whales. On the eastern side of the bay are large tide pools, with calm waters great for exploring.
3. Ride horseback. The Stables at Koele offer two-hour horseback rides on well-trained horses. Riders must be 9 years or older, but the stables also offer pony rides to kids of all ages.
4. Get creative. The Lanai Art Center and Galley (808-565-7503) in Lanai City offers art classes and workshops just for kids including crafts and painting. Visit its website — www.lanaiart.org — for information on class days and times.
5. Eat ice cream. After a long day at the beach or riding horseback, head to the Sweetest Days (338 8th St.) for some locally made ice cream treats including sundaes, splits and floats. Or get its popular banana dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with macadamia nuts.