Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are lots of great free things to do in Little Rock that won't put too much of a dent in your wallet. Here's our Forbes Travel Guide editors' list of the five best free things to do in Little Rock:
1. Head over to the Old Statehouse for a step back into history. The former seat of Arkansas government now features rotating exhibits that cover all aspects of the state's political history, from the pain of Reconstruction through the election of then-Governor Bill Clinton to the presidency. A must-see — the inaugural gowns of the First Ladies of Arkansas.
2. The Arkansas Arts Center features the works of Van Gogh, Jackson Pollack, Cezanne, Rembrandt, Reubens and others in a friendly and open series of art galleries.
3. The Heifer Village at Heifer International offers kids and adults the chance to interact with a series of exhibits that celebrate and commemorate the organization's history and work and also examine the ways global hunger and poverty can be eliminated.
4. You can walk on the world's longest pedestrian-intended bridge not far from downtown. The Big Dam Bridge sits on and over Murray Lock and Dam on the Arkansas River just a short distance west of Rebsamen Park. Take in the lovely sights as you walk across.
5. Visit the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center in the River Market for opportunities to learn more about the ecology of the varied types of terrain in Arkansas, from the rolling Ouachita Mountains to Ozark peaks to the sprawling Delta.