Answers from Our Experts (5)
A weekend trip for two demands surprise, relaxation, romance and scenery: Los Angeles offers it all. Whether you are looking for a day spent enjoying nature and L.A.’s picturesque views or you prefer the luxe amenities of a spa day and a ten-course meal, this West Coast locale offers plenty in the romance department.
1. Enjoy the built-in romance of Los Angeles with a day spent on the beach in nearby Malibu. This coastal community offers some of best views around: the city stretches along the Pacific Coast Highway and homes sit right along the waters edge on cliffs or tucked into the nearby hillsides. Popular beaches include Zuma and Will Rogers. Dining options range from low-key fish shacks to the infamous sushi-temple Nobu.
2. When the luster of Hollywood begins to fade, get back to basics in the Santa Monica Mountains. This mountain range may be home to some of L.A.’s most beautiful hiking, but it’s also a great spot for horseback riding. Arrange a guided sunset, sunrise or moonlit ride with Los Angeles Horseback Riding and take in the scenic views of the city while you make eyes at each other.
3. If you’d prefer the total luxe treatment, a couple’s spa day is sure to have you both relaxed and refreshed. In a city where there is no end to the excess, Los Angeles has plenty of great urban retreats to choose from, but Spa Montage is our pick for the best duo experience. At the center of this gorgeous Spanish-style Beverly Hills spa is a co-ed relaxation area where couples and friends can relax together around a large mineral pool.
4. Venice Beach offers a bit of romance in the tune of its namesake — the canals and walkways of this California city instantly transport you to the Italian locale (minus the gondola). A stroll along these walkways, originally built in the early 1900s by developer Abbott Kinney and now surrounded by upscale condominiums and uber-chic beachfront homes, is the perfect way to end a romantic day relaxing on the sand.
5. Arguably the most romantic restaurant in Los Angeles, Il Cielo is deserving of its name, which means “the sky,” because patrons dine in the outdoor garden beneath a canopy of twinkling lights. Dining here will put you in the mood for love — it seems that every couple in the place makes eyes at each other over plates of homemade pasta and focaccia.
The five best things to do on a romantic trip to Los Angeles is take a helicopter ride at sunset, go horseback riding on the beach, go wine tasting, getting a couples massage in a cabana at night, or take a gondola ride in the Venice Canal Historic District.
For a little romance in Los Angeles, we suggest you:
1. Take a wine tasting tour. Visit either Malibu for wine tasting, stay local or enjoy an excursion to Santa Barbara.
2. Take a helicopter ride. You can take off from Van Nuys Airport or even downtown L.A. Select from many themes, including viewing celebrity homes, the coastline, downtown L.A. or even Hollywood.
3. Take in a movie, high-style. Visit Gold Class Cinema and enjoy a film with wait service and cocktails.
4. Go to Hollywood Bowl. Enjoy a concert under the stars and bring your own picnic.
5. Go boating. Go for a Marina Yacht Tour and enjoy an excursion with your own private captain.
There are a surprising amount of couple-centric activities in Los Angeles and its surrounding areas, so if you’re in town for a romantic vacation, here are a few things to take advantage of.
1. Go for a hike in one of the area’s many regional parks at sunset, or go for a horseback ride in the mountains.
2. What’s more romantic than an oceanfront stroll and a picnic? Check out gorgeous Paradise Cove.
3. Experience Los Angeles from above, and take a sunset helicopter ride over the city while sipping on Champagne.
4. Share a romantic dinner at Yamashiro in Hollywood, which provides stunning views of Los Angeles.
5. Charter a sailboat or yacht for a brunch or dinner cruise.
With picturesque surroundings of surf, sand and epic views, it doesn't take too much effort to set the mood on a trip to Los Angeles. Here are five ways to inspire romance in the City of Angels.
Evening Stroll and Planetarium Show at Griffith Observatory
Perched atop Griffith Park, one of the largest urban parks in the county, the Griffith Observatory is a naturally romantic destination. With some of the best panoramic views of the L.A. basin, 2-inch Zeiss refracting telescope and planetarium shows, you'll have limitless ways to explore the depths of the Universe with your beau. Get their early and enjoy a sunset hike on their 53-mile network of trails.
Photo Opp at LACMA's Urban Lights
Sweep your special someone off their feet and head to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. One of their outdoor artistic installations—Urban Light—is a large scale collection of 202 restored street lamps, perfect for capturing in photos with your sweetheart. The pictures don't lie, it has quickly become one of the most instagrammed places in the world.
Wine Tasting In Malibu
You don't have to travel to Napa for a romantic day of wine tasting. Malibu is brimming with dreamy locations to sip and savor and snuggle up with your lover. Malibu Family Wines is a sprawling outdoor area where you can lay down a picnic blanket, grab a bottle or a tasting flight and nosh on some cheese for a perfectly blissed out afternoon. Sip Malibu is a low-key cozy and rustic tasting room that offers a delicious selection of wines from the Cielo vineyard to the tune of classic rock. Set amid picturesque Calamigos Ranch, Malibu Cafe is the perfect place to stop for lunch and enjoy a variety of wine selections from Malibu vintners.
Lunch in Malibu, Trip to a Near-Private Beach
Impress your beloved with stunning views of the coast over delicious California cuisine on the breezy patio at Geoffrey's Malibu. After lunch, break out your beach umbrella and look for the coastal access sign a few yards west of the restaurant. Open the gate and head down a flight of stairs to Escondido Beach, a romantic stretch of sand, deserted for the most part aside from the luxury homes that surround it.
Poolside Cabana at the Beverly Wilshire
The pool at this Four-Star property may look familiar — Sophia Loren’s private villa in Italy inspired its design. With a bird’s-eye view of Rodeo Drive, you can sunbathe with your special someone while sipping champagne or enjoying Pool Bar & Café’s offerings, such as freshly squeezed juices, bento boxes and a mega banana sundae. If you really want to go all out in the romance department, make reservations for a VIP cabana. The option includes a private cabana, Dom Pérignon champagne, canapés, a three-course lunch for two, a pedicure or manicure for two and complimentary Wi-Fi and television.