Answers from Our Experts (1)
While Madrid offers some of the best nightlife in the world, families will find plenty of activities to keep kids occupied during the day. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for five best things to do with kids in Madrid:
1. El Retiro Park. Spend a sunny afternoon on the lake in the city’s biggest park, rowing about at your leisure. You’ll forget you’re in the middle of one of Europe’s largest metropolises.
2. Real Madrid. The most successful club in Spain and in Europe, Los Merengues play at Santiago Bernabéu stadium, a Spanish soccer mecca. Stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo always leave the team at or near the top of La Liga. Catch a game between August and May.
3. Teleférico. The cable car that connects the city-center area with the Casa de Campo park provides a majestic view of Madrid unlike any other. The ride lasts more than 10 minutes — and once you’re there, be sure to check out the Zoo Aquarium, too.
4. Parque Warner. Though they may not understand what the Spanish-speaking Superman, Bugs Bunny and other Warner Bros. characters are saying, children will be too busy hopping from ride to ride in this amusement park to notice.
5. Madrid Vision. The double-decker buses that zoom around Madrid may be touristy, but they offer one of the best chances for the short set to see the city. Once kids find out there’s a palace where a king and queen live, they might even want to learn more about Madrid’s history.