Answers from Our Experts (1)
No matter where you’re staying in the Maldives, you’ll enjoy the same spectacular beaches. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best things to see and do in the Maldives:
1. Go diving. With its crystal clear water, diving is enormously popular in the Maldives. Most resorts have diving facilities and can help you organize a diving tour. You’ll see all kinds of fish among the excellent coral reefs, and even manta and eagle rays or a variety of sharks a bit further out. If diving is not your thing, you can still take advantage of the beautiful blue waters, which are warm year round for snorkeling or swimming.
2. Visit the National Art Gallery. The National Gallery is small but hosts rotating exhibitions from painters. There’s also a Maldives Biennial, where you can see photography, painting and mixed media works from artists across the country.
3. See the National Museum. This interesting museum is housed in the Sultan’s Park and is the only remaining part of the original palace; after the Maldives became independent in 1965, everything else was demolished.
4. Go to the Old Friday Mosque. Hukuru Miskiiy, as its known among locals, is the country’s oldest mosque, dating back to 1656. Above the mosque stands a blue and white minaret from 1675.
5. Engage in watersports. Back at the beach, your resort will be able to help you arrange parasailing kayaking, surfing, waterskiing, jet skiing, kite surfing and more.