Answers from Our Experts (1)
Manila has a variety of luxurious hotels from some of the most well-known international chains, many of them located outside the city center in the greater metropolitan area. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks for five of the best places to stay in and around Manila:
1. Makati Shangri-La Manila. Conveniently located in the center of the Makati entertainment and business district, Makati Shangri-La Manila offers top-notch facilities and nearly 700 well-appointed guest rooms and suites that on average offer more space than other hotel accommodations in this elite class. Standard room amenities include a 37-inch flat-screen television, 300 thread-count linens and free Wi-Fi access, while outside your room you’ll enjoy access to a beautiful outdoor pool, wellness spa, fitness center, well-equipped business center and eight bars and restaurants.
2. Dusit Thani Manila. Step into this grand hotel and you’ll be struck by the towering gold pillars in the two-story lobby. But the Makati City hotel has more to offer outside of the gleaming lobby: 538 rooms, seven restaurants, a massive gym and an inviting garden-themed spa.
3. Manila Hotel. Open since 1912, this gem on Manila Bay exudes old-world colonial charm, from a gorgeous lobby filled with the sounds of a live orchestra to the 500 comfortable, classy guest rooms and suites. Recent room renovations, while still retaining the vintage style of the hotel’s past, have added modern amenities such as 40-inch flat-screen televisions, Italian marble baths, Wi-Fi service and iPod docks.
4. The Peninsula Manila. There’s a lot to love about The Peninsula Manila, which features six different classes of guest rooms and five classes of suites. The service-oriented staff is a delight, French-fusion fare at the signature Old Manila restaurant is superb and onsite The Peninsula Spa is consistently rated one of the best in the city. The hotel’s location in Makati is also ideal, with the upscale Glorietta and Greenbelt shopping malls just a short walk away.
5. Mandarin Oriental, Manila. Known for its excellent service, Mandarin is yet another luxurious Makati City option. It’s a prime spot for those in town for work; the Business Rooms are equipped with a nice-sized desk, fax, copier, scanner and printer. But we love the two-floor spa — try the dagdagay, a leg and foot massage that uses bamboo or rattan sticks.