Answers from Our Experts (1)
The kids (or keiki as they say in Hawaii) will fall in love with Maui. The Hawaiian culture revolves around family, and as such, kids are welcome (and catered to) just about everywhere. Here are five of the best things to do with kids in Maui:
1. Explore Maui Ocean Center. Take a journey under the sea without getting wet. Open year round, Maui Ocean Center brings the wonders of Hawaii’s ocean to life as it showcases more than 60 indoor and outdoor exhibits, such as Turtle Lagoon and Hammerhead Harbor.
2. Ride the Sugar Cane Train. Hop aboard the Sugar Cane Train and take in the sights and sounds from historic Lahaina to the resorts of Kaanapali. With a blast of its steam whistle this open-air locomotive is reminiscent of Hawaii’s nostalgic charm.
3. Play at Baby Beach. Perfect for little ones, Baby Beach, located in the north part of Lahaina, is known for its calm waves. The attractive beach’s offshore breakwater blocks many of the big waves from reaching shore.
4. Smell the flowers at Ali’i Kula Lavender. Make your way to Upcountry Maui and make a day of it at Ali’i Kula Lavender. The intoxicating aroma of lavender will awaken your senses. Kids will enjoy exploring the farm, which flourishes with lavender, vibrant proteas, roses, native Hawaiian plants and more.
5. Giddy up at Piiholo Ranch. Get in touch with your inner cowboy, or paniolo, at Piiholo Ranch in Upcountry Maui. Located on the edge of the rainforest, 2,000 feet above sea level, this ranch is a top-notch spot to saddle up and explore the rugged upcountry Maui landscape. Riding lessons for kids are available, and the children will also love the Kids “Wrangler” Camp.